PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radiotelephony in shambles in Europe?
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2008, 07:54
F4F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shambles...
A bit exaggerated, isn't?
Been sailing for a while and look ma, no hands: just by listening out and being aware of my position, never "got lost". This without pulling the cumbersome RFC out of the bag on the other side of the FDK or waking the F/O up, please call me minimalist if you want
The other extreme is chap we had in a previous company, who before each flight pulled a copy CFP where he had joggled down all frequencies pertinent to the route on a previous flight. Clipping this list on his side he made it a point, disregarding PF or PNF duties, of selecting the next frequency from his list as soon as feasible...

As a mini way of reducing chatter and enhance simplicity why not drop the 1 in front of each freq, e.g. call it 21 decimal 9 iso 121 decimal 9

As for the use of 21 decimal 5, the guard frequency, I have to agree with you. Most eastern countries use it as a chat frequency, the French call or try to call their ops, Italians use it to create jungle or other irksome noises, the brits for nav exercising, all which means that it finally either gets turned off or at least set to its lower volume setting, hardly a good practice...

live 2 fly 2 live