PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radiotelephony in shambles in Europe?
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2008, 05:52
JJflyer
ZbV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiotelephony in shambles in Europe?

Since the introduction of the 8.33 radios and the widthspread use of the said "Channels" I have noticed more and more flights are lost. The general level of RT work and situational awareness seems to have diminished with the introduction of advanced glass cockpit aircraft. Who is reading an enroute chart these days? FIR boundaries?

Wrong frequencies assigned or handovers forgotten by controllers working several busy sectors at the same time or more often pilots just not listening or getting the frequency wrong, easy to do really. Know your FIR boundaries. If I approach a boundary clearly marked on a chart and have not heard from ATC I will prompt them. Should FIR boundaries be included in EFIS symbology and databases? I use the FIX function to mark them.

Do we have too many sectors in Europe? Is the airspace too complicated? Should it be simplified? I have calculated 30 odd frequency changes in less than an hours flight.

The increase is considerably in the last 10 years and readily noticeable on 121.5 or Guard. The emergency frequency is being congested by ATC trying to reach flights for the correct frequency. The practice pans, why must these be done on 121.5. Pilots in error trying to reach various handling agents or OPS with their ETA's and then there is the Guard Police discussed elsewhere. This has become a clear safety issue.

I remember years ago hearing someone on guard. I would immediately pay attention and listen what was being said. Today I hear the constant talk and I turn the volume down until the yapping seizes. A good practice? There is so much talk on 121.5 that it has started to make listening ATC difficult.

The introduction of JAR has reduced the training requirements to be able to operate aircraft radios. Is this something we want when skies over Europe are busier than ever?