PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glenforsa Update
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2008, 00:47
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got to agree with Jetscream 32 about this.

So there's a frequency that isn't always manned. So there's military traffic around not talking and so what that the approach can get a wee bit interesting.

All sounds like a normal day in the Scottish FIR to me.

When around hills, keep your eyes peeled for fast pointy things or even slightly slower blunter things. If no-one is talking, go over the top of field and use your eyes and judgement about what's going on.

To be totally honest I find most A/G operators to be more of a hindrance than a help, usually as they try to control what's going on instead of just giving out information. There are obviously exceptions, but as a general rule, when I haven't got a response from an A/G station, then I treat it as a good thing!

Also agree with Pheel, the grass looks far too long. In some piccies it almost seems to be reaching prop tip level. Would the airfield "manager" care to be handed a bill for prop wear? It's amazing how quickly that can happen, especially if you have a wooden prop.

Texas, you are a bitter individual. ABC haven't exactly covered themselves with glory when it comes to aviation projects. I also seem to remember some very odd decisions at Glenforsa, such as being closed for an unuseable soggy runway. Fair enough if true, but it was like a bowling green, or the "strategic placing" of fencing purely to inconvienience one person.

Petty minded rubbish that has no business in aviation. If the airfield "manager" (of a grass strip!) and ABC think that sort of thing is alright, then I suggest they leave the business of flying aeroplanes to the adults.

Enough grumbling, Glenforsa is a great place to visit thanks to it's stunning location. The fact you can get a friendly welcome and decent meal make it a must visit. It's one of the far too few places where you actually have a decent reason for visiting, rather than just another name in a logbook and another rubbish bacon sarnie in a portacabin.

Go and visit, you won't regret it.