PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 Crash At Brussels
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2008, 21:01
NudgingSteel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tgdxb:

In answer to your several posts regarding the runway chosen for departure, can I add to the poster who mentioned the large number of variables which determine runway use. At my airport we sometimes have heavy traffic requesting a slightly shorter runway for departure because although the TORA (take-off run available) is less, once airborne the obstacle clearance and the subsequent required climb profile are both more favourable. Although a longer runway gives more time to get airborne, it might also then require a higher climb rate to meet terrain or noise profiles. This might require taking less payload or using higher power settings. (I understand that a de-rated take-off puts less strain on the engines, therefore reduces the chance of a catastrophic failure and also increases engine life).

[I should also add that I know nothing about the layout and surroundings of Brussels airport, and have no experience of flying anything bigger than a C152. Therefore I'm not prepared to second-guess either the crew, cause or investigation.....great news that they seemed to emerge pretty unscathed though].