PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visa M1/J1
Thread: Visa M1/J1
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2008, 20:10
matteolo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Visa M1/J1

I am going to leave my country and going in America to study and fly for helicopters licenses.

However i am really confused about the different types of visa. I know that there are already different posts about this argument, but i still can't understand some things.

What i already know (I hope is right) is that the M1 last for one year, and you can not work in USA whit it, but there is a program caled OPT wich may apply for 90 days prior to the completition of the course. If you obtain it you will be able to work in USA for a short period of time. For every 3 months that you are here on you M1 visa you will be allowed one month of OPT. Most of the schools offer the M1.

By contrast the J1 last 2 years and you can work, if you have it, without problems, for an example as a flight instructor.
Now, what i don't understand is, why some schools can not provide the J1 an others can????
One school said to me that they can provide only the M1 because they are a training school...but what they really means??
There are others training schools that provide it (example=bristow).

I also know that to obtain the J1 I have to go in the USA embassy here in my city, make an interview, and bring with me the documents proving that i am going to attempt flight courses in america. So the school has to send to me the documents. I don't think that the documents for the M1 are so different from the document to obtain the J1...or I am wrong?

Please help me....because i am very confused.
The problem is that all the schools and person who I talk with, say every times different things.

I think that this informations can help not only me but all the people that want to go abroad.

Thank everybody.