PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High accident rates in light twins an alternative?
Old 28th May 2008, 16:33
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>Yes, but if you reduce "pitch" (I think you mean angle of attack- there is a difference) before you accelerate, you also reduce lift. If you were only maintaining height at Vyse, you are now descending. Sure you'll accelerate, but, as I said above, as you were at your minimum drag speed before, flying faster is only going to increase total drag and make things worse.

The blue radial is there for a reason. It really is the speed for best climb performance on one engine.I have a similar amount of light twin time as you (though a lot of years ago!) and I know that sometimes equates to "Not very much!!", but it is the best you are going to get. Fly any other speed, faster or slower, and you degrade the aircrafts climb performance<

Wizofox

Yes I do mean angle of attack :-) I can give you some figures off a Seneca Five. With an engine shut down and feathered it will cruise at 127 kts compared to 155 kts with both going and that is with a high cruise setting not max power which you would have trying to climb at blue line which is about 90 kts.

So we have a difference at a lower power setting of nearly 30 kts.
That difference is purely down to drag nothing more nothing less.

Faster air over the wings creates more lift meaning that you can reduce the angle of attack and hence the drag for a given amount of lift.

In the situation we are talking about where because of tired engines a bug splattered airframe, temps, weight etc where we have max power, blue line and no or negligable climb then yes as we reduce the angle of attack initially the aircraft will start a very slight descent. As the speed increases so does the lift meaning you can reduce the angle of attack even further and even further again as the speed continues to increase to a cruise single engine speed.

As I said do try it :-)

Pace