PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High accident rates in light twins an alternative?
Old 28th May 2008, 12:07
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High accident rates in light twins an alternative?

We all know that the accident rate for light twins is attrocious with an engine failure.

Infact I believe you are more likely to survive a single engine failure and the subsequent forced landing than an engine failure in a twin.

Most light twins at best at grosse weight on a standard day are hard pushed to climb at 200 fpm and those figures are achieved on new aircraft with new engines, not old hangar rash aircraft, covered in flies with tired old engines.

With the second engine comes more options and with more options comes more opportunities for making a mistake.

I appreciate the high accident rate is partially due to the fact that most private pilots cannot afford to fly light twins and as such are not current enough to cope.

But where does the training figure in this high level of accidents.
We are taught to act in a particular way to an engine failure and have it drummed into us to such an extent that we go into mental autopilot and with the aircraft cleaned up go for blue line and a climb.

I have had three engine failures in my time. Two partial one full. One was at grosse and at 200 feet in the climbout. The aircraft was shaking badly but the engine was still producing some power. I elected to keep it going as even with some power I realised that I was not going to climb at all if I shut it down. I had one hand on the prop lever ready to pull it if there was a bang and then once up at a 1000 feet shut the engine down. The cause was three Sheared rocker shafts.

Another alternative was put to me by an ex fighter pilot for light twins and may be an option to add in certain circumstances.

While light twins are happy to fly along in level cruise with one shut down all day they are pathetic at best at blue line climbing. You only need a gusty day with downdrafts a desperation and fix on climbing and it is only too easy to get below blue line, get further crossed up, add further drag and loose the plot.

Once in the air an aircraft does not know that it is at 300 feet or 1000 feet and mayb in certain situations it might be better to go for level flight at 300 feet rather than the drummed in climb. Most airfields are not enclosed by high terrain and usually have a gentle turn route through where you can maintain level flight at your 300 or 500 feet. Once trimmed for level flight and at single engine cruise speeds step climb the twin in gentle increments using the trim. As the cruise speed bleeds off level again and repeat until you have sufficient hight to return or land at another airfield.

ThIs does work and while not suitable for all situations it is another option to consider if you get into a mess.
It is certainly worth trying in training with a safety pilot/ instructor and at altitude.

Pace