PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Call V1 3 to 5kts prior
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2008, 02:22
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
never thought it neccesary to call V are and Vee two---some SOPs require it though
We've got several calls that I'm not sure are necessary, including the V2 call. However, at Vr, we not only call it out, but also add "Rotate to XXX degrees," as part of the standard callout. It's printed on the TOLD card anyway, as our target engine-out pitch attitude, but the SOP is to call it out verbally, anyway.

I'm one of those who responds with a thank you or precedes with a please. I don't see that as extraneous or out of line, but I've sure met a few who had a fit because those "extra words" were apparently just too much to handle. When I say "Set reduced thrust," and the FE responds "reduced thrust set," I reply "thank you." It's not in our standard callouts. I did it in the sim and got loudly berated by the check airman. That individual felt that any extra syllables might bring down the four horses of the apocalypse and perhaps a small infestation of rodents. I don't think common courtesy is out of line.

I sat down with an old salt FE one day who said "You can call me anything you like but I expect a please and thank you." I respect that, and try to give it anyway. Even if it's an extra word.