PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 Crash At Brussels
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2008, 00:48
RESA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
747 Crash At Brussels

The moderator chose to yank my submission (and a few others) when the topic of MK and the Halifax crash appeared. I have slightly modified and re-submitted my comments.

I can only comment on what I can see from the photos available on the net. It looks like Brussels had extended (back-filled) the graded area (clear-way) beyond the runway end to accommodate the localiser array (raising it so there is no signal blockage . . . and a few more radio engineering considerations I won’t go into). I used to design these things before I retired a few years ago. By the time you finish back filling to level the ground to about 350m past the stop-end . . . you have to figure out how to re-establish grade and make the mound of dirt stable. I think I saw retaining walls and concrete steps off the nose of the aircraft?? That would be the stuff holding everything together. Looks like aircraft came to rest just right of centre-line. Localiser array and stuff just off its port tail (as it sits).

This is a reasonable attempt (compromise) by the airport (or local aviation authority) to accommodate reliable guidance signals while offering minimal danger to overrunning aircraft (and anyone living off the end of the runway). It’s not the ideal solution . . . but everybody has financial constraints? I think the outcome is a testament that a lot of the time this will work. Either it gets airborne, off of the diving board . . . or it belly flops!

This aircraft looks like it took the “Big Hop” off of the retaining wall . . . and drove its belly trucks up fracturing the spar and everything around it !? Vehicle likely stopped very quickly when its belly flopped? Lots of belt/harness, back, and face injuries on board?

Halifax was (and still is) an accident waiting to happen . . . 12-ft+ (concrete capped) earthen-berm on both ends of the runway. The array is elevated to compensate for terrain drop-off (signal blockage) beyond the runway end. The Halifax scenario resulted in the concrete capped berm ripping the entire tail section from the aircraft . . . airborne and no tail . . . now what do you do !?

Pay very close attention if you have to carry through CYHZ . . . make sure your numbers are right!

I hope this is not another case of “lessons not learned”.
MK staff made a mistake and paid the ultimate price for it.

Their mistakes and maybe the shortcomings in the accommodation/training their company should have given them (or they should have sought out themselves) are documented.

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/en/reports/air/...4/a04h0004.asp

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/en/reports/air/...0004_index.asp

RESA