PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 27th May 2008, 22:35
The Equivocator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuc

By your estimation then, anyone with more than 300 hundred hours should have been subject to a significant flight safety incident...

Now I'm sure that's not what you mean, but goes a long way towards demonstrating that all statistics can be forced to demonstrate whatever facts or arguments are desired. Or indeed that this sort of safety factoring has little significance to the layman, but a differing albeit confusing significance to engineers.

Interesting to note that the compensation issue has raised a couple of hackles. Then it's suggested by a frequent poster that the MOD should be taken to the cleaners for millions; I'm assuming this money would be used altruistically for implementation of Nimrod safety recommendations?

I don't agree with the tone of Buoy15 and his posts, however I also have difficulty in understanding what the end game is here?

RAF BOI sits over a long period, utilising Nimrod SMEs, civil aviation safety investigators and submits detailed report. This report seemingly widely accepted, but discredited in some quarters as being 'in house'.

MOD admits major safety/system errors. Probably/possibly influenced by impressive campaign orchestrated by relative of deceased.

Sqn Cdr is awarded national recognition, which results in undignified public slanging between relatives of deceased and 'serving' RAF incensed by criticisms of one of their own.

MOD offers compensation to relatives, who don't want any compensation.

Short, non-expert coroners inquiry results in various legal opinion aiming off in different directions?

Coroner states Nimrod has never been airworthy, following three weeks of confusing testimony from various expert and some dubious witnesses with varying degrees of interest in the case.

Ex-RAF types with no obvious interest in the case jump on bandwagon of MOD failings. Feathering own nest for future in politics?

So, following an apology, compensation and an independent inquiry by a MOD appointed QC, what does the barrack room want?

Nimrod grounded?

Corporate manslaughter charges?

More money for families?

More money for Nimrod?

Anyone got a clue?

Also interesting to see the selective ratification of quotations; an emotive quote from a presumably serving Nimrod Sqn mate is taken at face value, demonstrating the MOD approach to be devoid of safety reasoning. This is Daily Mail reporting at the very best.

On a lighter note...

If we ever need to go to war in the Irish Sea, we will have lost a major force multiplier and staging post to Barrow in Furness due to the Manx governments potential ban for Nimrod on Ronaldsway. A UN security council meeting has been convened...