PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 Crash At Brussels
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2008, 22:10
FlyingConsultant

Location: U.S. East Cost and Europe (travelling too much, and at home in both)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLF question

OK, as an SLF I am a bit confused now. Said somebody earlier:
take-off calculations give the crew the lowest power setting that will achieve V1 at the point where there is just enough runway ahead to stop again.
That's what I always understood (and experienced in the two aborted take-offs in my 12 or so years of heavy SLFing, although those happened far before V1). I kind of assumed that meant using full breaks, not reverse thrust, since that might take a while to deploy(?) and/or might not be available or impractical (e.g., one engine falls of on two engine a/c). My understanding was that in the extreme, the breaks and tires might be toast but the a/c would stop before hitting the grass if anything occurred before V1.

So before V1, shouldn't it stop in time/space? After V1, I thought a 747 would take off even with two engines killed?

Not saying any of that happened here - we don't know whether this was a birdstrike or anything else. I can also imagine all kind of things that prevent standard procedure from working in special cases, or for that matter many cases. I am just trying to understand why somebody would think this could be the result of 2 engines on a 747 giving up the ghost before or after V1

Thanks