PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA withdraw from Open Skies Court Case
Old 26th May 2008, 23:25
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
At the risk of sending everybody to sleep two further points from your last post Devillish:

All the while the whole seniority debate is propped up by nice chunky salaries at the top with the added bonus of a final salary scheme to make the wait all worthwhile. Now there is a foul stench to this whole thing... How long will it be before the armies of well intentioned twentysomethings with a pocketful of debt and tat salaries start asking the bigger questions - like, 'how will I pay my mortgage?' or 'whoa, twenty years to command and a stagnant list!'
A twenty year first officer in BA would be on a very comfortable salary, 75% of the equivalent pay point captain's salary. If Willie Walsh and Mr. O'Leary have their way 'well intentioned twentysomethings with a pocketful of debt and tat salaries ' will never be able to pay off their mortgages no matter how many years they work!

So back to BALPA and the BACC - The chairman of the BACC himself is on record as stating that he would '...seek equalisation of OS and BA terms and conditions after three years...' if the seniority lists were conjoined. I am presuming that he means to drag the Ts and Cs up rather than force BA pilots to take a pay cut.
I try to keep myelf well informed on matters that affect me but I am unaware of that quote. Where did you read or see it?

Rat 5

Are the yanks throwing toys out of the pram?
Interesting point. When the beloved EU negotiated Open Skies with the Americans we allowed the Americans unfettered access and rights to fly with anywhere within the EU. The reciprocal (unfettered access in and around the USA) is supposed to happen in 2010. I will watch for that moment with great interest.

(I think my understanding of the Open Skies agreement is correct but stand to be corrected if not).