PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHC-6 Questions:
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2008, 16:06
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DHC-6 Questions:

These two have come up recently and I thought I would ask around the pilot community:

1. For this one assume that you have obstacles in the approach path so that you would normally use full flaps. With a cross-wind would you use less flaps or would you tend to stay with full flaps?

2. On departure would you go for the book procedure of initial climb at 80 knots with flap 10, even assuming no obstacles, or would you use a higher speed? If so, how much higher?

I have my own way of operating as do most people so that I thought I would put these two out there to see what people do with this machine in the real world. Most of my experience is not on this type, besides which I just came back to it early last year.

It gets interesting when human nature comes into it, I find. Some people have told me that they find this or that procedure "uncomfortable." Is it that most modern airplanes tend to fly about the same, making the DHC-6 the odd one out? Anyway, I had a few things I took as givens but it would seem not everyone sees things that way, hence the questions.

Thanks in advance for whatever answers you all can give to these questions along with the reasoning behind them if you like.