PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MRH-90 helicopters for Australia
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2008, 11:52
Blackhawk9

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Australian MRH90 not meeting expectations??

Have heard from a couple of guys both in and ex the system the MRH90 is not up to expectations, Floor easily damaged , not up to handling wear and tear of combat troops, can't open ramp in flight , only one soldier on ramp at time on ground (just what you need in a combat zone!!, restricted loading of ramp (have to use spreader boards so as not to damage ramp if loading trailers etc), no storage of equip on ramp when closed-big wasted area in cabin!, cannot open sliding doors in flight (in a combat zone i'd want the bloody doors open to get out in a hurry!)(also can't have doors open in spec ops to fast rope teams into targets), can only open R/H door in a hover to use hoist must be closed for fwd flight, very little ground clearance under A/C (should keep the composite guys busy with repairs when they go bush), limited engine power -the engine control system of the RTM322 will only give you 100% power even if the engine could give you more (hot and high i'd want every bit of power the engines will give me), with tricycle U/C very high chance of tail strike in tactical flying, Limited field of fire with side guns (a/c was not designed initialy to have door/side guns ), what a great A/C a stepup up from the Blackhawk!!! I think not! The UH60-M can do all the things i've listed the MRH90 can't! (except ramp) and it can't carry 20 troops ,but its no use having 20 troops on board if your delivery A/C can't do the job.

Have also heard the NAVY are trying to give there MRH 90's to the ARMY as they don't want them ,hoping to get 6-8 MH60-R's/S-70B's and 6-8 MH60-S's instead and have an all 60 series helos and T-700 engines, let the ARMY operate 4 differant types and 4 differant engines!

I can see another Seasprite saga with the MRH90 and its new!! for the ARMY's sake and the poor grunts or specops in the back and the Taxpayer I hope not.

Last edited by Blackhawk9; 26th May 2008 at 12:39.