PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet* Importing Pilots
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2008, 09:57
Transition Layer

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts
Pin Head,

can you see the management at Jet* putting a pilot from a light twin (with truthfully, the wrong type of experience in the way of worldwide op's) into the right hand seat of a new 787 when it arrives? there is no shortage of people looking for the first step on the ladder but when it comes to the crunch you need people with experinece up there. heard of a crew in the uk with a 2000hr Captain and a 200hr FO, in hours that is sweet FA. PS by the way, I did it the hard way as well self funded, instructor, light twin, airliner route.
The experience to crew aircraft at Jetstar, both Left and Right seat, comes from within the Qantas Group (JQ, Mainline, Qantaslink). As an example, a Qantas 767 F/O with 10 years + experience in both domestic and international long haul ops, could easily slide into the LHS of a A330. S/Os could then take up F/O positions at either airline and then the "light twin" pilot you talk of can do his apprenticeship as an S/O. No better place to learn the ins and outs of airline ops, and get some exposure to operating Internationally at the same time.

However, JQ/QF management will do everything it can to prevent this from happening as it will inevitably cause upward pressure on Jetstar wages to bring them in line with those at Mainline. Only when wages are on par (i.e. a JQ A330 pilot earns the same as a QF A330 pilot, etc) can any sort of GOAL work.

By the way, and I stand to be corrected, any Aussie pilot working in Europe or the UK would require residency or an EU passport. They aren't there because the airlines concerned needed cheap labour.

TL