PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Knowing what you know now about this game, wud you have done it all in the 1st plce?
Old 26th May 2008, 00:12
Deano777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was a wannabe I used to dream of being an airline pilot. I first got interested in aviation during the Falklands War (my goodness, I am old), and all I wanted to do was fly. Now you could say I was the quintessential wannabe, everything that was me I read on here and see it in other people.
Left school, decided to start flying when I was 28 (I know I left it way too late). Obtained my PPL in 2001 still dreaming of that big job, my friends & family used to big me up and take interest in what I was doing which made the whole thing even more exciting.
Started my ATPLs, the same dreams and excitement was there, it's all I wanted to do. Then I started my CPL, passed this and thought that I was nearly there, passed my IR, not long now I thought. Then the next step was the MCC, this was great, I flew an airliner woohoo, this is marvellous, then did my FIC course and started instructing.
Not long now I thought, I then had an interview with an airline, did well, passed it. Next stage was the sim check, did well, passed it. Next stage was the job offer & base, then the type rating. Did the groundschool, passed that ok, jumped in the Sim, passed the LST etc etc. Then started line training, passed this too in minimum sectors, this is going swimmingly well.

Now the point I am making by typing all that up is that now I am actually there doing it, it isn't the be all & end all, it's pretty cool yes, does it get me excited? sometimes, am I lucky? well yes I think so, but it's just a job, and the aircraft I fly is great, but it's just another cockpit. When I first flew past the Swiss Alps I was amazed, now they are "just the Swiss Alps". Now I am actually where I set out to be all those years ago it isn't a big deal any more, it's almost an anti climax, this sounds ungrateful I know, and all you wannabes will be saying "piss off then, I'll have your job", but please remember I was you once, I wanted it so bad I jacked in a £55k per year job, paid £60,000 modular to achieve it. I wanted it as bad as all you guys out there chasing it, and when I look in here now I have every empathy with guys trying to get in the system.

From someone who wanted it more than anyone (we all say that), trust me when I say it isn't all that it cracked up to be, I do enjoy it, I put my finger on what made me feel this way about it; well when you are a lowly PPL etc looking upwards at the pinnacle , it feels great to know that you will be there one day; airliners, stewardesses, big planes, glass cockpits, great destinations. But as you start moving up, i.e. the first part of my post, the CPL, the IR, the MCC, the interview, sim check, TR groundschool, Sim, line training etc, this is a natural build up to achieving your goal, as you take each stage it starts to become less of a deal, from being a PPL & fantastically excited, to starting line training and being mildly excited. Can anyone else who has been through it see what I am saying?

Don't pin your life on it guys, it really isn't that big a deal.