PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-86 - canopy markings
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2008, 20:33
MReyn24050

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The aircraft in the lower photograph at Post #2 is Mike Keenum'f F86 NX188RL "MiG Mad Marine". The following is an extract from the Warbird Alley website describing the aircraft.
http://www.warbirdalley.com/articles/F86-sf.htm
Mike's marvelous machine is restored in the colors and markings of "MiG Mad Marine/Lynn Annie Dave I," which was flown by then-USMC Major John Glenn, Jr., when he flew as an exchange pilot with the 51st Fighter Intercept Wing in Korea. Glenn scored three kills in the original airplane (not this restoration). Glenn's Sabre was also unusual because the nose art refers not only to himself, but also to his family, by the addition of the label, "Lyn Annie Dave I" forward of the primary nose art. Like many combat aircraft, Glenn's nose art appeared only on the left side. At a convention some years ago, an ace from another war was asked if his nose art was painted on both sides of the airplane. "How would I know?" he replied. "I only got in from the left!" Keenum's faithful reproduction of the original artwork extends to the name on the left canopy rail: "Maj. Glenn."