PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine failure below Vmcg
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2008, 18:56
tankdriver45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cap Loko,

I think we are on the same page actualy. Imagine soft field take off technique in a twin:

Full power, the nose off ASAP to reduce drag, plane flies it's self off(sub Vmc/just above stall) stay in ground effect, accelerate.

If right as the plane lifts off sub Vmc...engine quits..then you chop power and land..easy..

or accelerate to Vmc in ground effect, then accelerate to Vx...your golden.

And what are the chances your engine, will fail right there in that ten knot window...?

If your runways are so short and nasty that a soft/short field take off means that as soon as the gear is off, you run out of runway...then yeah, that's sketchy..but thats how bush pilots in singles do it...

Look at it this way...a million people a day take off single engine, knowing that the engine could quit and they become a glider...sometimes in a twin you have to think that way too...or even a jet..

It's wishfull thinking that all planes will fly, all the time...none the less, I want options, and safety...and in a perfect world, if one engine dies, I want the plane to fly, that's how I plan it..sometimes plans fall short...