PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are Flex / De Rated take offs safe?
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2008, 17:07
BraceBrace

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
95% of all takeoffs I calculate (737) are climb limited and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) most twin engine commercial airliners are climb limited most of the time. NOT field limited so there's always extra runway to play with on the ground. You will hardly ever get a bigger V1/Vr spread, with V1 being fairly close to Vr.

The 146/Avro is 4 engined high wing, that's different but I would be surprised to see a short field performance jet being field limited on general commercial airports (not considering the exceptions of course). But I don't know the type.

Really, if you think reduced thrust takeoffs are too close to the limit, you haven't done any wet/contaminated/improved takeoff. With a wet or contaminated takeoff V1 is reduced (for a contaminated usually up to minimum control speed), and screen height at the end is reduced as well (35ft, not 50ft clearance).

Passing V1 on a reduced is relaxed, passing V1 on an improved takeoff makes you think and wonder is the aircraft is still capable to stop.

PS: improved takeoff is always full thrust by the way...