PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Border between being assertive or arrogant/rude
Old 25th May 2008, 15:38
Boeing 777-300ER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Border between being assertive or arrogant/rude

Just finished my annual CRM refresher and one of the excercises simulated being on a boat which was about to sink in the middle of an ocean. Our group of 4 had to decide which items to take with and put in order which items were the most important.

To cut a long story short, 2 of the guys were in agreement that a certain item should be put on top of the list as the most important. I was after another item. The other guy did not offer an opinion. I placed my argument for some time. The other guys placed their item first after I 'gave in' with reservations.

At the end we discussed the excercise and it happened that the item I was after was indeed number 1 on the priority list (according to a survival expert).

My question is this: was I assertive enough? In my opinion I was not, even though the other 2 guys 'hijacked' the discussion (they are best friends and me and the other guy were left out a little).

On the other should I have kept pressing on with my argument without portraying an image of being arrogant or rude?

The problem is that with such group excercises there are not any right or wrong answers.

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated as I have being pondering on this question for 2 days