PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff or Bristol
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2008, 13:47
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The trouble with asking people to compare neighbouring airports is that (a) the opinion is bound to be subjective and (b) some people think of and support their local airport in the same way they might support their local football team.

I haven't flown out of CWL for a while but I use BRS regularly, as a leisure traveller (in my own time and at my own expense) these days.

It isn't perfect by any means and to some extent has been overtaken by its undoubted success in attracting a host of airlines, not all so-called low-cost ones either.

Its desperately needed huge expansion plans have been slowed down by its need to deal with the army of anti-expansionists in the most effective way possible. In the short term the management has resorted to measures not requiring planning consent such as re-jigging the airside and landside areas and building extended security zones.

The ongoing work required to do this has sometimes added to the congestion that often occurs at busy periods. It has to be said though that in recent years the airport hasn't helped the passenger experience by using much-needed departure area space for yet more retail outlets.

I am suprised at merchant sailor's experience of grunts and unsmiling faces. I have always found that in general the staff are friendly and the experience can be one of rural informality*.

I used to use the business louge when the old airport frequent flyer programme rewarded its members by issuing vouchers and I always found the (usually) female staff polite and helpful.

As a local resident I much prefer the convenience of a local airport with numerous routes. The alternative is the situation of a couple of decades ago when BRS had few routes and one had to drive to LHR or other large airports, something that took much longer than a few extra minutes in a security queue at Lulsgate.

To return to the original question, the poser wll have to make up his or her own mind (not sure whether Chrisy is male or female).

* Some of the older security operatives (of whom BRS seems to have a number) sometimes address passengers as 'young man' (when like me they are nearing their old age pension) or 'my love'. I actually like this (who wouldn't at my age?) but I have no doubt there are some people who always expect to be addressed as sir or madam.