PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA withdraw from Open Skies Court Case
Old 25th May 2008, 13:41
Devillish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My view is so narrow because I confine it only to the real world

Yes, I know the industry very well, thank you. That is why I am currently employed in this position.

Look, the simple situation is this - Unions were primarily created to protect the workers' rights when society had very few social protections. The social protections that were previously (and rightly) sought by Unions and activist groups are now in place. Therefore, unions have a diminishing role (in BALPAs case they stated previously that the strategy was to become a partner or stakeholder).

Within the UK and Europe workers unions now primarily play the role of trying to increase terms and conditions - companies naturally wish to challenge that. That is pretty much it - the real world. It is right and proper for BALPA to seek to increase pay and conditions both within BA and without it.

The situation over OpenSkies was exactly this: OS pilots on the master list or we're off. That is NOT negotiation - that is making a demand. This is also where BALPA will fall foul of all sorts of TU legislation (like going on strike over a third party). Next tactic - 'Let's fight it over the SCOPE agreement instead - shhhhh! everyone shut up about OpenSkies'. But - whoops - what about GO, BMED, GB, BACON/CitiExpress blah blah blah... Now here is where I get confused - you cannot pick and choose elements of what is notionally a point of principle.

That chap from ALPA youTubes his hand-wringing missive to the planet as a whole bunch of 'normal people' scratch their heads and say "but this has already happened - BA have been franchising for years".

All the while the whole seniority debate is propped up by nice chunky salaries at the top with the added bonus of a final salary scheme to make the wait all worthwhile. Now there is a foul stench to this whole thing... How long will it be before the armies of well intentioned twentysomethings with a pocketful of debt and tat salaries start asking the bigger questions - like, 'how will I pay my mortgage?' or 'whoa, twenty years to command and a stagnant list!'

"You don't understand - aviation is a special case..." - I hear it again and again. Nope, not so special - It is just an industry very used to protectionism. Stockholm Syndrome is alive and well - you grow to love the system which has caused your profession to lag wages in real terms despite a shortage of appropriately qualified individuals.

Within your own sector non-seniority based systems (like the corporate market) have seen a jump in wages that far outstrip the airlines. Go figure.

So back to BALPA and the BACC - The chairman of the BACC himself is on record as stating that he would '...seek equalisation of OS and BA terms and conditions after three years...' if the seniority lists were conjoined. I am presuming that he means to drag the Ts and Cs up rather than force BA pilots to take a pay cut. So, funny old thing, this is nothing like the 'price promise' that the public face of BA BALPA gave in respect of OS pilots.

I think the Company Council doth protest a little too much.

Look boys and girls, I have no axe to grind - just an alternate view. I thought that you clever pilot-types were objective, impassive, steely-eyed and all that? Take a look at the system that lays in front of you and ask yourself if you would rather join the real world or get bumped along on the fringes to go the way of the train driver.