PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1500ft circuits
Thread: 1500ft circuits
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2008, 12:20
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly a cat B aircraft and use a 1,500' circuit but the aircraft has been on a descent from TOD and that continues throughout the circuit so no extending downwind or other such games are necessary.

From TOD to 10 miles from TOUCHDOWN the aircraft (non-pressurised) has been at 500 FPM ROD (although lately with the tailwinds up my clacker I have been using 600'). At the 10 mile point I should be 3,000' AGL and I take approach flap and the ROD then goes to whatever equals 3 degrees. Gear is taken at 5 miles to touchdown and second stage of flap usually on base which is taken at 1,000 AGL and within the cat B circling area. Final stage of flap at 1 mile to touchdown with everything stable.

Please note that the ROD after the first stage of flap will vary according to the speed of the aircraft but once the gear is out the ROD is quite benign and back around what it was on the early descent.

I use this approach everywhere (except during instrument approaches and even then it depends on what sort of approach I am doing and what has to happen on getting visual) for visual approaches, controlled 'dromes (unless they want something different), CTAFs, night approaches into remote communities and it works for me. It has become an SOP for me so that when life is difficult (coming into my home base at night with marginal visibility even in the circuit and a black hole away from the field) I don't have to work out something new when all I want to do is fly the aircraft.

Yes I make the required radio calls (even at 0400 in the bleedin' morning) and because there are a number of gyrocoptors around where I am based I am very cautious during the day. They are equipped with VHF but I am not impressed with some of the flying I have observed. I have found the whole concept of a constant descent easier than having to manage a descent then level off then descend again and it is easier on the passengers.