PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA part M what are you doing?
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2008, 11:37
vee-tail-1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part M is based on the present French system for EASA aircraft: The owner signs a "Declaration of Maintenance" acknowledging full responsibility for maintenance of the aircraft. Includes full understanding of the maintenance program, repetitive and one off ADs, service letters, etc. Owners are expected to have subscriptions with manufacturers for Service letters, and to keep updated on ADs via the GSAC website and/or EASA website which will automatically send all new ADs to subscribing owners.
The type specific maintenance program is obtained in my case from Robin/Apex and it has to be "personalised" for the state of equipment, engine type, etc and then submitted to GSAC for approval. The approved program has my name and signature printed on each page and becomes legally binding on me. I am entitled to carry out all work in the program myself, or contract some or all of it to a maintenance organisation/engineer. No matter who does the work I am responsible for it and will be held liable if the MO screws up.
This is the cultural difference I mentioned earlier. If you have been in the habit of giving your aircraft to the MO and "letting them get on with it" you are putting yourself at risk. For if by using LAMS or LAMP the MO misses something and there is an incident, YOU the owner are responsible. You should have supervised the MO and ensured they were doing the work correctly using the appropriate documentation etc. Up till now UK MOs have used LAMS/LAMP with all that entails. There was no need for manufactures particularly French ones to provide an English language type specific program. I had to translate my Robin program into English for my own use, but the approved version is in French. It may be that UK owners can submit programs to the CAA for approval in the original French, pointing out that French is one of the official EU languages! Whatever happens don't try to maintain your aircraft using LAMS/LAMP if you are not an experienced engineer. for you will surely miss something vital. Type specific makes it easy to achieve proper maintenance. ELA 1 may well be similar with perhaps a lighter touch.