PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Zealand - Training Schools and Job Prospects
Old 25th May 2008, 08:05
Heli-phile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot shortage - NZ

There is no pilot shortage in NZ, However there is a shortage of experienced pilots in NZ.
Every week I get cv's sent to me by fresh CPL H holders.
It is almost criminal how many NZ (and foreign) hopefuls are being churned out of the large training (money processing) organisations. Huge student loans are being generated and as far as I can see there is probably work for only 1 in 100 new recruits. These organisations are laughing all the way to the bank, they get free crewman etc, and even charge keen students for essential ferry flights. Ive heard guys have paid for the pleasure of ferrying machines to/from Frost flights. As I say laughing all the way to the bank.

Basically there is no role for a CPL H with 150 hours and a R22 rating, for one thing our insurers would add such a premium for low time pilots the amount would exceed the annual salary of that low time pilot!!

As ever there is the huge hurdle of getting from 150 to 1000hrs.
I suppose the least worst option is an instructing role. Key thing is having a point of difference.

However anyone with 1000hrs and a few hundred turbine is a different story. You would get an interview at least, then its down to personality, attitude and of course ability.