PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - drug & booze testing
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2008, 05:29
amberale

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flying-spike, while I understand your post[s] my problem is with the practicalities and legal considerations.

I have asked my supervisors [level 3] at ASA what their plan is for this and as yet recieved no response.

If I, as an ATC, take a diazpam tablet to control back spasms, log it in my diary, turn up to work 48 hours later and advise my supervisor of my use, what happens?
My Dame advised me that I would be good for work after 8 hours. I'm trying to get that in writing.

If my supervisor lets me plug in and work and I am subsequentially tested and FAIL will I be villified? Will my supervisor?
Should I tell them I am non operational?

If I have an incident, will this be used as a mitigating factor?
I belive ASA policy is testing after a serious incident if the supervisor believes there may be impairment.
So I arrive at work, tell them I took 2 'ibuprofen plus' two days ago and have a near miss or worse on my watch[hopefully not but devils advocate scenario].
I am tested and show positive for opiates.
Who do you think the police and lawyers are going to come looking for?

Should I call work when I take the pills and tell them I wont be available for 4-5 days due to the testing regime?

Can I go to a DAME to get a clearance to work?

ASA has no policy in place for this that I or my supervisors are aware of.
I'm not knocking ASA here just pointing out that a large percentage of ATC, pilots, cabin crew, engineers etc could suddenly not be available for operational duties on a regular basis.

AA

AA