PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - drug & booze testing
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2008, 00:50
flying-spike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope this helps

I don't want be seen as just attacking Launch Code Harry's post but maybe if I try and address each of his points it might help.

"The problem is that many OTC & prescription medicines also contain drugs of abuse. Next problem is the sensitivity of the testing - these test are exceedingly sensitive."
  1. Declare over the counter and prescription meds when reporting for duty
  2. Check with your doctor/DAME when they are prescribed if they could effect your ability to function
  3. The standards specify the level of sensitivity. Remember they are not testing for impairment, just the presence of the drug. Unless you are professionally qualified in the appropriate medical discipline I think it is a bit rich to say the level of sensitivity is excessive.
"How many people have taken a headache tablet, Sudophed or cough medicine & closely examined the label? Now if you are airside, having taken one of these medicines in previous few days you may well being positive for the tox screen."
  1. You are sticking it in your mouth and you don't know what is in it?
  2. If you can get on PPRUNE you can "Google" the contents of the medication
  3. Just you have an initial test positive it doesn't necessarily mean you can't fly. After all you did declare the medication didn't you?
"Where is the knowledge? Where is the detailed explanation of all this from CASA? Show us a list of exactly which OTC codeine preparations can be taken at the recommended does & a typical detection time."
  1. There's heaps on the net and as I mentioned in an earlier post, the testing procedure is preceeded by an education campaign a month or so prior to the commencement of testing. This is usually a part of the package provided by the the testing organisation (usually subcontracted by the employer) to ensure the employees are given adequate time to "get clean" prior to testing.
  2. Again a search of the net will help.
"CASA should provide a real-world example, eg John takes 3 panadeine tablets in a 24 hour period for a sore tooth, how long would before he would pass an an opiates tox screen. What should John do? How long should he abstain from safety related work?"
  1. Every body metabolises drugs at different rates so an example may be misleading
  2. "John" should see a dentist not a pharmacist
  3. If he thinks he is fit for work he should declare the use of the panadeine to his employer