PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2008, 17:13
ChristiaanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
777fly,
I agree that we hope the AAIB will manage to get all the pieces of the puzzle in place.

I doubt there will be one single clear-cut cause, or it would have happened far earlier in the life of the aircraft.
I'd rather think they will find that enough holes in the Swiss cheese lined up for the first time.

Rare weather conditions (not unique, but rare just the same), the aircraft maybe staying longer at FL410 than advisable (didn't others descend to FL240 and lower?), a continuous-descent approach (CDA) with no call for increased thrust until about 2 miles out, and then the fuel characteristics (I would not want to use the word 'quality' since from what we hear the fuel was 'within spec', but even so the exact fuel composition can vary considerably).

Maybe the AAIB will add another couple of holes to the Gruyère. An obvious one would have been a faulty fuel temp sensor, but I have seen no mention of that.

As to the discussion about 'heroes'....
'Heroes', to me, are people who do something incredibly brave and often incredibly stupid, with total disregard for their own lives, and bring it off.

To me, those two pilots were true professionals, who in those few seconds, thanks to their knowledge and experience, drew the right conclusions, did the right things, and turned what could have been a fireball into a remarkable short-field landing...
Nothing 'heroic' in my book, but true professionalism, for which I have a far deeper respect.

CJ