PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA withdraw from Open Skies Court Case
Old 24th May 2008, 14:51
Captain Jumbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

Some might wonder about the quality of the advice BALPA received that persuaded them to seek the court option. I had always figured that in legal terms, it is best to be pretty sure of the answer before asking the question - or, as happened here, life can become very expensive. From the very beginning some might argue that BALPA and BACC did not consider the potential consequences properly. Judging from the anti OS vitriol posted on here by BA personnel, if those feelings were replicated by BACC and their puppets within BALPA, it may seem that insufficient thought was given to the enterprise. I would guess that the feeling was that seeing as how BA could not really afford a pilot strike, they would have to cave to the threat, and BACC would once again have muscled their way to their desired end.
In fact, what has happened is the strengthening of the employer side of the negotiating table at the worst time possible. Really well done chaps, excellent result!!!!!!!

It's also worthwhile reading BOAC's post carefully. The merest mention of DAN AIR, just as with BACX / BACON etc brings out all the apologists for unacceptable behaviour, who delight in rewriting the past. It won't change anything, but it does underscore and focus the viewpoints of the BA pilot community who refuse to work with their own management, but who also seem to have consistently historically refused to stand up for companies bought/taken over by their companies. Too much hypocrisy for me.

With regard to unions generally, this debacle has undermined them all. Perhaps given the use of terms like scab and blackleg by supposed professionals, for goodness sake, by supposed ex-Queen's Officers then this is just as well.
If BA wanted to clear off and start their own airline, then I think more would applaud than not - at least there would be no dubiety about what the remains of BALPA was actually for!. I seriously think it should be considered - there seems to be a proliferation of Cabin Crew unions, which works very well.

For the future - well, I look forward to seeing the cafuffle when the first 787 is allocated to OS. It will make this look like a jamboree in the playground, and BALPA already know what the management response will be now to the slightest objection to such Fleeting. The phrase "Shot your bolt" springs to mind.It will be ironic indeed if BALPA and the BACC end up in the European Court of human rights demanding the right to strike - I wonder how much more of the non-BA members' contributions that will waste? Fortunately, like BOAC, I shall watch from the sidelines as a mere contractor.