PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - National Arboretum - RAF Boy Entrant Memorial
Old 24th May 2008, 12:21
AARON O'DICKYDIDO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
January 1964.

At the age of 15 years and 8 months I signed on for 9 years regular and 3 in the reserve - the 9 years to start from the age of 18. I had 3 months to decide wether I liked boy entrants or not and during that time I could elect to purchase my discharge for the sum of £30 IIRC. After that time the only way out was to get thrown out. Weekly pay was £1.10s.0p (£1.50). Plus about £1.00 compulsulary put into a savings account for when we reached pass-out after 18 months. It was extremly difficult for many of the boys to get their hands on £30 so they just stuck with it. I do not recall any boys who were there other than through their own choice.
Most of the boys were from the Secondary Modern school system with little or no educational qualifications but the RAF showed faith in us, gave us a trade and educated us. I know of several who have attained OU degrees. In the end many attained SNCO/WO rank and quite a few attained commissions and at least one to Gp Capt. As stated previously many went on the become aircrew, both pilots and other categories. In my 22 years mans service I hope that I gave back to the service some of the help they gave to me. It was always a two-way system. I do not regret a single minute of my time.

'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFI bar.'