PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using Iridium Satphone in flight
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2008, 08:24
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Furthermore, they apparently have an operations manual (not to be confused with the POH) in which the boss wrote directions for use of the satphone. Possibly along the lines of "no long calls with the significant others, this stuff is EXPENSIVE".
That would be the General Operations Manual. The Aircraft Operations Manual is the aircraft flight manual, or pilot operating handbook, if you will. Each operator has their own, written by the operator...it's the same thing you have in a Cessna 172, but much, much larger and more complex, and this doesn't come from the manufacturer. The material is derived from the manufacturer, but it's an approved document that takes the place of the POH, and comes from my employer. It's proprietary, and includes one full volume on systems, and another on procedures, performance, etc.

All the same,the satphone isn't something we're quizzed or part of any proficiency check. It's more of a convenience that's used in the cockpit. It doesn't get a lot of attention in the manual; they didn't even cite the model number. We also have a little commercial insert from Iridium giving a short rundown on the features of the system and how it works; more of an advertisement than anything.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help there. I hardly use the phone; the flight engineer does most of the calling, and answering.