PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Police Helicopters used as Air Ambulances
Old 24th May 2008, 07:44
whoateallthepies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C.K and Crab
I am in total agreement with you that the UK government should fund a country-wide fleet of dedicated Police/Ambulance/Fire helicopters.

In the meantime, the services make do with the arrangements in place and the shortcomings inherent in this.

The original thread was "Any police helicopters used as Air Ambulances?" and this had been answered. You can call dual-roleing second rate but I think you will find that the service provided is first rate. It would not work in some locations, e.g. West Yorks but in the places it has been set up it is working a treat.

Crab, Minself is right
But, the rest of the equipment will be fine as it's either already on the aircraft or we can make room for it, even for the 2 staff or 3 at a push. As for the Night/IFR transfers that will happen and in the mean time your guys and gals can manage that?
Your knowledge of Air Ambulance capabilities is obviously limited. I suggest you try to pay a visit to your nearest unit to acquaint yourself with their transfer capabilities. True, most can't yet do night /IFR but if the public support and fundraising allow, I think you will find that many units have this in their long-term plans. (Speak to Yorkshire AA. Although they might be busy winch training!).

It is a shame that studies have shown limited value for HEMS when those of us involved in the work know of circumstances where only a helicopter could have made a difference to the patient's outcome. So no government money will be coming.