PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using Iridium Satphone in flight
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2008, 07:10
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before everybody starts picking on SNS3, my understanding of his posts is that they use an Iridium handheld satphone, most likely a Motorola 9505A, as well, which has a "mount" (possibly just a holder, maybe with a charger) on the pedestal. Apparently there is a second type of installation as well which hooks into the "com center" (intercom?) in more or less the same way you can hook up your iPod to the intercom in reasonably modern installations?

Furthermore, they apparently have an operations manual (not to be confused with the POH) in which the boss wrote directions for use of the satphone. Possibly along the lines of "no long calls with the significant others, this stuff is EXPENSIVE".

So the way I read his posts, his experience is quite relevant for us. Particularly since they seem to be doing fine at 500 knots plus even without the need for an additional antenna.

Now what I would like to know is what set Bose-X uses, and why he doesn't get his calls through at 130 knots plus. As said, I don't think the Doppler shift resulting from 130 knots airspeed is going to be significant enough, considering that the satellites themselves travel at 15.000 knots, give or take.

The set IO540 has received, based on the Thuraya system, is using a geosynchronous satellite. For starters, this will introduce a half-second delay. But the same system is rumoured to be used by Al Qaida in Afghanistan a lot. I hope customs officals don't know that, otherwise it might be a reason for long delays.