PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which side?
Thread: Which side?
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2008, 00:42
Angels 60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Say again Para...didn't catch it...

Ok...for those that don't fly helos in here, if you fly a helicopter fast enough, the retreating blade creates less lift then the advancing blade.. hence the roll effect tward the retreating blade.

Try to imagine the wing on the right side is creating more lift then on the left...hence the roll effect...the faster you go, the more roll tendency...

The faster you go in a helo, the more your rolling effect tward the side of the retreating blade...actual helo pilots help me out here. Trim counteracts this, along with the pilot sitting on the side of advancing blade, or even fuel tank position from what I hear...

Have you ever seen that little wing on the tail of a Jet Ranger for instance, and wondered why a Jet Ranger needs a little wing?

Since US helos typicaly have a counterclockwise main rotor path, as seen from above, the advancing blade is on the right...and viola...most helos have the pilot sitting on the right side, unless the blades turn the other way...

If you guys want I can go to book and grab some quotes and references...or start dragging some guys from the helo forum in here..