PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are *immediately* available, cheap, and role-dedicated alternatives to Nimrod?
Old 24th May 2008, 00:36
Flight Detent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Errr....in the recent Fincastle Trophy competition fly-offs....what were ALL the other maritime operators flying... and have been doing most successfully for many years.

Though Boeing is developing a 737-800 deritive as the P-8A, I do believe that the Lockheed varients of the P3C are far superior.
My main problem with the P8 surrounds the fact that is to small (flight deck and cabin) and it's a turbojet.
Would you like to fly in a 737 size flight deck for multiple 10+ hours flights, I know I would prefer the much larger P3C flight deck AND have a flight engineer!

There are quite a few immediately available, their capabilities are well know, and the traditional operators are very happy with their overall performance and reliability.

Yes, I know they are out of production, and some of the high-time airframes may need wing replacement, but that just reinforces my point that these airplanes are so reliable and resiliant, that they infact need this work!

I have nearly 6,000 hours operating the P3, and I couldn't have been more happy with their performance and capabilities.
Though I haven't seen the inside of one for some years now .....

Just as an aside...I'm off to the 40 year celebrations of the RAAF's introduction of their first P3Bs, a fleet of BunoNo 156s in 1968, being held at RAAF Edinburgh on the 30th of May. They still operate a fleet of around 20 P3Cs and will continue to do so for some years to come.
Should be a good day!

Cheers...FD...