PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2008, 18:34
seekayess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks, let me apologise in ADVANCE if this one sounds dumb, but . . . .

Many, many eons ago, I was on a cross-country flight in a Gnat. After the entire 750 nm was done at about FL 400, with the minimum/no movement of the throttle needed, I commenced my descent, throttling back and a/b out.

As I finished my descent and put the u/c down, I had to now open the throttle.

Bloody hell! No response from the engine!!

Had to do a belly landing on the side of the runway (am cutting the story short!).

Investigations found that there was sufficient fuel on board.

One of the technical items in the engine was an AFRC -- Air Fuel Ratio Control. This, as it's name suggests, was supposed to automatically open/ close an aperture in the fuel flow to ensure that too much fuel did not go to the engines etc.

With no movement of the throttle for an almost one hour flight at FL 400, icing had taken place in this aperture. So, when I opened the throttle, the extra fuel required could not flow because of the icing, which ahd not had the chance to melt away due to the rapid descent.

I know technology has changed immensely in the last 40 years and this was a fighter aircraft (PS: I have ONLY flown fighters -- the reason for my apology in the first line!), maybe such a thing may not have happened.

. . . but, I thought why not post this one!!