PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline-specific medical standards (Emirates, Etihad, GF, QR)?
Old 23rd May 2008, 17:19
Flyer1015

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be more specific, I'm wondering about hearing and eye balance (phorias).

In the USA, if you fail the audiogram in one ear, it's still okay because the examiner has you stand 6 feet away and says something in an average conversational voice. If you can hear that, you're good to go. So I fail the audiogram in one ear, but because of this 6-feet rule about hearing the doc, I am able to get a FAA 1st class medical.
But then of course, my question becomes regarding the airline specific medicals of EK, EY, QR, or GF.
Would I even stand a chance?

The other thing is I have a certain eye imbalance/phoria diopter exceedance, for which I have a SODA for. A SODA in the USA stands for Statement of Demonstrated Ability. So it works this way: if for some reason you dont meet a medical standard, you can get a SODA if you can prove that your condition does not affect you flying safely. For my case, I had to go up with a fed and prove I could basically fly. I guess you oculd call it a waiver?
But anyway, the SODA piece of paper goes along with my FAA 1st class medical piece of paper to form my 'full medical certificate.'

So that's the other problem with me. Just tryin to see if I stand a chance....

[And in case anyone is wondering, in the USA, I fly a CRJ-200 for a Part 121 airline with no problems whatsover]