PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Knowing what you know now about this game, wud you have done it all in the 1st plce?
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:38
timzsta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would I do it again? I am not sure. I got my CPL/IR nearly four years ago. If I did do it again I would probably have gone into it younger and not waited until I was 25 until I made a start.

I wasted a year after getting my IR applying for jobs, which realistically I had no chance of getting as I only had 200 hours and the market was not great.

But I have tried to do something about it and did an FI course and started part time instructing. For about 18 months I didn't really make an effort to get a job - I just concentrated on getting as much experience as I could and developing myself into a competent FI. I went part time in my other job after christmas so i could do more flying. But with the credit crunch now on I fear a big drop in instructional work is about to hit me.

Any hours are better then no hours I reckon. If you are sitting on a CPL/IR and no job get an FI ticket and get flying. You will make more command decisions as a part time FI over two weekends flying then most jet FO's will make in a year (standing by.....).

As you grow older enthusiam and energy do decline, and as you look at the world through more mature eyes you feel "what have I got to grumble about? I have my health and I can pay my mortgage (at the moment). Flying an airliner is just a job".

But I am also in the position where I have to work 7 days a week to pay the mortgage and there are days when I feel "i can't be bothered with spending another afternoon in a knackered old 152 teaching stalling for the umpteenth time. What I actually want to do is put my feet up".

So that really has re-invigourated me to seek that airline job. At least there will be days off. The T's & C's are never going to be what they used to be but at least there will be days off.