PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirNZ Academy
Thread: AirNZ Academy
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:13
captncannot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Threecombs: Hey JTN747,

Here's a piece of free advice u may or may not want!

Get your ass down to the local aeroclub, ask the nice instructor for a
CPL/IFR rating. Then call in to see every G/A operator u can think of and beg them to let u wash their aircraft. After a while u may even fly them, give yourself a few scares, get a thousand hours in your log book!
Then rock yourself down to Nelson, fly a dash 8 for two years
( if you've got half a brain you'll stay well away from Eagle )
Then AND ONLY THEN, try your luck with Air New Zealand or the equivalent of and those of us that have had to do exactly that, may just have enough respect to let you touch more than just the push to talk button!!!!
Hard to imagine that being advice anyone in JTN's position would want!

Threecombs, who knows, perhaps the guy thinks that "begging" is beneath him?

Since when did "begging" become a requirement to become a pilot?
(and its such a puzzle why kids don't aspire to become pilots anymore )

He has a realistic shot at getting AirNZ to pay for all his ab initio training! But your advice is what, to pay for all his own training and then whore himself out to work for free in GA???? Followed by what, buying a jet type rating I suppose? WHY???? (and hey I'm not knocking that but if you don't have to, I mean, really... )

Very strange sense of perspective you got there mate!!

The rest of the world has been hiring fresh CPLs as jet FOs ever since the 707.

Or did some Grade 3 pimple face actually get you believing you need 2,000TT to fly a jet?

JTN747, go for it! you're joining the industry at a time when it's never been easier to get a decent job. Getting a PPL before you finish uni would probly be a very good idea. Then if AirNZ cadet doesn't work out, you can go the traditional route, or get the military to pay for it, or fall back on your degree!

Just do yourself a favour and never ever work for free, despite what some may recommend - it just isn't acceptable, in any circumstance, ever.