PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing evidence that the downturn is upon us....
Old 23rd May 2008, 10:36
potkettleblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take what OAT or Jerez or any other FTO for that matter say with a grain of salt. In fact I would say as much to take their advice and ignore it for the marketing spin and hype it is.

When I started looking at getting into this game back around 99/2000 I remember heading off to the Flyer shows and calling up the big schools leafing through glossy brochures etc. I discovered pprune around the same time. The message coming out was I had to go integrated plain and simple. All the jobs were going to the integrated guys (according to the FTO's). BAE as it was then known wouldn't even consider giving me a place if I wanted to go there as a mod student. Oxford were the same.

A short time later 9/11 happened. Emirates, BA, BMI and Aer Lingus to name a few pulled the plug on cadetships and the steady stream of cash into Oxfords and BAE's coffers dried up. Guess what? Yep realising they no longer had any customers MODULAR suddenly became the flavour of the month. New "products" were created with great sounding names. At the end of the day it was still a modular course, just severely overpriced for what you could get elsewhere and you were competing with just as many people for a few jobs.

Anyway this is risking thread creep but hopefully lets put to bed what Saccade posted.