PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin 'welcome to nation' PA
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2008, 05:03
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Virgin 'welcome to nation' PA

I just spotted this on the Andrew Bolt blog- he's a Melbourne journo for those that have never heard of him. Andrew is a bit right wing and he's no Matt Price but he's the best I've got since Matt died last year.

Anyway, he posts this report from a contributor to his blog:
http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/a...irgins_prayer/

I returned to Adelaide last night on a Virgin flight from Sydney.

Upon landing the “cabin leader” delivered the usual spiel about fruit fly in SA etc etc but I felt my skin crawl as she then gives a recognition speech to the Kaurna people, recognising them as first inhabitants and then thanking their elders both past, present and future.

It was obvious she was reading it, delivered it with a somewhat cheesy voice and barely got the Kaurna pronounciation right.
On this issue, is it common for DJ crew to do a 'welcome to nation' type PA whenever they land somewhere?

I only came across these types of welcomes recently when Mrs Keg had to do one as Acting Pres of Kegette's Girl Guide parents committee. Since then I'm hearing more and more of them.

The reader goes on to make this point and I tend to agree with it.

Of course there were the obligitory sighs of approval around me in the plane. All their guilt had been washed away!…

I would love to know exactly what other efforts Virginblue make to improve life for indigenous Australia? Maybe I missed it but I coundn’t find anything on their website.

It never ceases to amaze me how hollow gestures are so readliy accepted by the Australian public.
Unless there are actually representatives of the 'nation' there doing the welcomed then it all sounds a bit 'trite' to me.

PS: I thought about putting this in questions but it is an airline thing....feel free to move it across if it detracts from Reporting points.