PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA withdraw from Open Skies Court Case
Old 22nd May 2008, 22:34
lordsummerisle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overstress,

No particular axe to grind on this either way, but whilst this has been going on, there have been some very dismissive, triumphalist and somewhat, dare i say it "smug" postings on this topic from such as mentioned.

"BTW, BALPA is going to re-ballot the pilots once the strike is declared legal by the High Court"

Take it the re-balloting not happening then?

Personally i agree with you that it is another in a long line of victories for "big business", and can be traced back to the election victory of 1979, work ably continued by New Labour in it's obeisance to business interests. However I do find it hard to believe that many BA Balpa members would have been crying at the demise of the unions of all stripes, and most i imagine would have heartily applauded the laws that were brought in to make it more difficult to strike effectively.

That said, you still have the very large yes vote of your colleagues, and if you really believe in what you are fighting for then go ahead and do it, but principles may not be as strong throughout the workforce as yours undoubtedly are.