PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum seperation between IFR and VFR
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:19
Grum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Separation during SID from non-radar field

Thought ATC would be the best people to ask here.

Whilst waiting on the runway, i was informed of traffic routing through the overhead at 2300 feet. I ackowledged that i had the traffic in sight. Was then cleared for take-off to follow the SID which climbs me to 2400 feet. The first part of the departure took me in a completely different direction from the traffic and so i lost sight of it. The SID then turned us back towards the traffic which we struggled to locate until we flew over the top of him by 100 feet.

Additional information is that I was in a light jet that is not required to have TCAS! A daft loop hole in the legislation. Conditions were VMC and I was obviously on an IFR plan.

- At what point do I know that it is ATC's responibility to provide separation (understanding that a visual lookout should be carried out always)? I assumed because I was on a SID i was protected. Must I listen for the word "identified". Do some fields provide separation from the minute you leave the ground?

- By saying that i had the traffic in sight, did I take responsibility? It was not a "with traffic in sight cleared take-off"scenario.

- If it had been IMC would the traffic have been allowed to route through the zone only 100ft bellow the SID?

- Lastly, how do you know whether the controller on tower and approach frequencies has radar or not?

Your answers will help a great deal, thanks.