PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking outside
Thread: Looking outside
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2008, 14:37
Mad Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reminds me Mad Girl of one of my first solo Nav flights, started with good vis but third leg was down the coast and the cloud was rolling in off the sea. I was under the cloud in VMC but the vis ahead was awful, I could see the ground for miles but nothing much directly ahead. I won't ever forget how focused I became when I heard the words 'Unknown traffic at your level on reciprocal heading' As it was we passed each other with plenty of room to spare but I get a service now whenever I can. Funny to think I knew they were there but they most likely didn't have a clue about the student heading straight for them as they were not talking to anybody.
I had a RIS all the way around my QXC route.

Was informed of a helicoptor operating in the area which shot passed me FROM BEHIND and only a hundred foot below and to my side. Would have scared the cp out of me if I hadn't known he was there, and I was stressed enough!!.

Have also been told of converging traffic well before I could see it. Because I'd been told about them I was looking harder and when I could see them.... I just moved out of their way.

They "obviously" hadn't been on the same service, or even listening in, and STILL didn't see me when i waggled my wings at them .