PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Police Helicopters used as Air Ambulances
Old 22nd May 2008, 08:57
C.Korsky-Driva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pie-Lover

Well therein lies the rub. If you were truly aiming at the preservation of life then you be carrying two medical personnel (sorry - a Bobby with his First Aid certificate wont be eligible even if he is good) and not a Bobby plus Paramedic.

I think you will find that it is generally recognised in the HEMS world that due to the difficulties of monitoring vital signs in flight and the multiple tasks involved, seriously ill/injured patients require TWO clinicians who have enough training and experience to justify whatever title they 'wear'.

SO you see you cannot hide behind the fact that your stated priority - "The preservation Of Life" is somewhat compromised.

As for wishing the impossible I should point out that we wished for Air Ambulances for 15 years and dreamt of a network covering all of UK. Well it took Cornwall to show the way and 20 years on we are nearly there. "Ah!" I hear you say, "But what was the government's role in all this?" Well you would have a point but a 'faint heart never won a fair maid'.

If somebody doesn't light the way then we will never get there - will we?

CKD