PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Girls
Thread: Cathay Girls
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2008, 02:50
Max Reheat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H. Dweller,

I totally agree with you on both your points. Indeed we are allowed to use First class on overnight flights if a seat is available. On one particular fleet, though, which has bunks and a CCL seat some guys are abusing the 330/777 privilege.

It's just that some of the guys have a strange way of trying to get something from the cabin crew.

A little story I was told recently from a very reliable CC source.

A -400 flight from Jo'burg....
The relief cmdr asked the ISM if he could sit and rest in first class. The response was yes; however, please don't eat since the Pax are sleeping. As soon as he took his seat he asked the SP for his meal, despite the wishes of the ISM. When the SP refused he jumped up, threw the headset on the seat and stormed back up stairs. Whilst doing so told the crew not to come to the flt deck for the rest of the flight... so they didn't.
His name is now very well known throughout ISD and he will probably get cr@p service for the rest of his time in CX.
I've retold the story verbatim, how much got embellished on the way I don't know. The point is; the incident happened, he didn't get reported, but it sours the pitch for everyone else.

It works both ways. The Asian airlines are very different from those back home, where ever that may be. We are the incomers and it is our responsibility to fit in and act accordingly; whilst never forgetting that we at the top of the crew list.

Banter is one thing, rudeness is intolerable. If you are a Captain, don't accept it from any one on your crew; neither pilot nor cabin crew. The rude ISMs are equally disliked by the junior crew. Just as the rude Captains are by the junior pilots. It is just unacceptable and if you see it happening, stamp on it with all the authority the 4 bars give you! Let them report you, just make sure you cover your 6 and tell your chief pilot before ISD do. It's very simple.

On the other hand, I see command trainees get the cabin crew eating out of their hand even before departure. So it's clearly not impossible. It called CRM... courtesy, respect and manners.

Lead, command, example etc etc.