PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are Flex / De Rated take offs safe?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2008, 23:09
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't argue with an early pre-V1 reject speed if a blown tire, but they state I have to get that actual number from my airplane manufacturer...do you know what it is in a Ferrari jet.?..would I have to dial up the underworld to talk to the designer long dead gone for 50 years?
No need. The takeoff data is already before you. You needn't contact the dead, just be able to read a simple performance chart and abide by the numbers.

If you don't have directional control issues, then don't risk a high speed reject...especially if you think you have a failed tire or wheel. If you do have directional control issues, then the matter is settled for you. Clearly you're not going anywhere if you can't maintain directional control.

Try to make this connection...loosing a tire on an 18 wheeler is a little different then losing a tire on a Yugo.
Try making this connection: people experience tire blowouts every day and don't lose control. A little vibration...yes. Pulling to one side; sometimes. Connect it further; lose that tire at the end of the road...gonna run off the road into obstacles when you can magically pull back and get airborne, and go back to the beginning of the road? Go fly.

The point is everyone on this forum doesn't drive a heavy...SOPS are different for each operation..
You're right. Many of us do both, or have experience in both...and yes, the procedures are basically the same. Specific aircraft procedures apply to each type, but competent professional training centers teach the same that airlines teach with respect to runway behavior and policies regarding stopping or going.

Then again, you've had ONE tire experience, and are now an expert.