PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gutted - Failed class 1 Ocular Muscle Balance
Old 21st May 2008, 22:51
v6g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peppl
I have emailed and called a few flight schools to see what they say but have yet to hear from them, in the meantime, this does bring new questions. What about visa's? What license would I have, ICAO I guess? Where could I work etc.
- if you were to, for example, go the Canadian route then you'd have 2 options:
1) Come to Canada for a minimum of 1 day to get your Canadian Class 1 medical certificate (no visa required - just make it a few days holiday), then return to Europe to convert your Canadian class 1 medical certificate to a JAA class 1 (what I was suggesting was that it is allegedly easier to convert a non-JAA class 1 to a JAA class 1 than to obtain an initial JAA class 1). Then proceed with your training in Europe for a JAA license and proceed with your career in JAA land as originally planned.
2) Come to Canada to get your Class 1 medical, then train in Canada but you'd then have to convert it back to a JAA license if you wanted to work in Europe (assume minimum of 6-8 months extra study time and at least GBP12K extra training costs). You would also be taking quite a gamble on this Canadian class 1 to JAA class 1 idea - as you'd only find out if this plan works once you've spent all your money on a canadian license - it's not a certainty.

Option 2 will probably give you financial savings and is the route that a number of folks take but option 1 is what I meant in my previous post as it focuses on the specifics of your eyesight issue.