PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sherburn Aero Club
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2008, 18:29
EGCJFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, despite my username, I no longer fly at Sherburn, due to having to move for work. However, I did learn to fly their and was a member for a few years. Naturally I have an affinity with the place and regularly check the website and anything on pprune related to Sherburn.

It really saddens me to see the depth of despair that seems to surround the place these days, with negative posts, people being layed off, reduced hours for staff and incompetent Committee members making decisions that defy belief sometimes. I flew in there recently to break up my trip from the South to Scotland (didn't need to, just wanted to), hoping for Mike to be smiling and the usual jovial chappie that he was, the good banter in the bar and of course, some decent club food. However, what I found was a cloud over the place, no Mike, and generally a sad club that was once great.

Whilst I can offer nothing due to my location (hope to be back in the area and fly from there again soon), I do think there are enough members/committee members who have skills in their day jobs who could all muck in and really deliver some benefits for the club! People from all walks of life can offer support to a club. I personally am a Project Manager and I'm sure there's some skills from that. Salesman, Engineers, Directors, Business owners all fly! Come on, offer services! Whilst that's a rally call, I'd make a further one..... Committee..... bite people's hands off for the service! Don't run a closed shop to the detriment of the what is, a very fine establishment. GA has a tough enough time in today's world, through Government interference, added fuel costs, etc. etc. It is your duty as a Committee member to gather and utilise the best resources available to you, and when you're open to do such a thing, I'm sure members would volunteer willingly, their services.

Please, let my next reading of a post of Sherburn be a positive one and my next fly-in, be a fantastic experience.

Good luck Sherburn and please don't go......