PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOURNEMOUTH - 2
Thread: BOURNEMOUTH - 2
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2008, 17:22
Flitefone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to spend the money!?

Thanks Coasthugger. Either way business is business and a decent CEO will make a case for capital to his board and fight for the money to do what he wants. Some fights are won and some lost, in business a smart manager picks his battles. I doubt the business park will be on the radar for much except road infrastructiure improvements.

At least the investment decision has been made as regards the money for the new terminal.

I remain confident that BOH will get its nice new building, car parks and apron - which will not be the 'taj mahal' BAA & Dublin style so loathed by Michael O'Leary.

The business park is full of tenants which says that the business is running ok at a high level anyway, empty buildings usually mean no rent (bad), new buildings mean higher rent (also bad if you have mostly low end tenants) The risk is clear.

Aside from the airport's park, there is the matter of the large BASCO hangar that does not get much use these days. Now thats one I would like to see put to better use.

As I said before the main asset is the runway, a little bit of management vision would see longer term initiatives to enhance runway capacity... high speed turn-offs for 26 and 08 north and south, improved runway lighting, surface grooves for improved braking in the wet.... and of course a full length taxiway at the western end to avoid those back tracks.

I predicted similar initiatives at SOU for 2008 in a post last year for the same reasons.

Peak hour runway slots are at a premium in the southeast UK. Investment plans there would make an interesting study.. both for revenue and the assett value of the airport.

FF